Led Headlight bulbs

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Wow...that could have gone poorly if it caught on fire. I wondered about that. Glad you caught it.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Wow...that could have gone poorly if it caught on fire. I wondered about that. Glad you caught it.
Hi Dave,

Yeah...where is the fuse or self resetting circuit breaker in this equation? Do not have time now, but need to look at my wiring diagrams to see why it got to the point of burning up due to high current. Could it be heat related and current is within spec?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
weasel1

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Just wanted to share a recent experience. Last week I remote started my Ranger, when I got into the truck my dash was lit up with battery and wrench indicators and I was seeing multiple messages on the screen related to lane assist, front end collision system, etc, all not functioning. I killed the engine, and after a few attempts, the truck started again and had no errors. SO, I cautiously proceeded to work. I started to smell that distinct electrical odor. Got to work, popped the hood and determined it was coming from one of my LED headlights. When I returned home, I swapped back to factory halogens and have had no issues since. I'm not sure if the fan died on the LED or what, but I have since replaced high and lows with a brighter white halogen. Just wanted to share in case any of you have a similar experience. I'll also note, on several occasions before this took place, my headlights would very quickly turn off and back on in a split second. The LED's I was running were these....

H11 LED Headlight Bulb, CAR ROVER 55W 10000Lumens Plug-N-Play Extremely Bright 6500K H8 H9 ZES Chips Conversion Kit
Yikes! I'll have to keep an eye on mine. So far, so good...

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
This is why I changed the DRL setting to only be front turn lamps, to save wear and tear on the headlights. The only downfall is being aware of ambient conditions that might warrant headlight use when it is not dark enough for the sensor to react, i.e. sudden rain shower or fog.

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
This is why I changed the DRL setting to only be front turn lamps, to save wear and tear on the headlights. The only downfall is being aware of ambient conditions that might warrant headlight use when it is not dark enough for the sensor to react, i.e. sudden rain shower or fog.
This is something I would like to do. I thought the only option was on or off?

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I think I’ve found the led bulbs for my low beams. In the past couple weeks I’ve tried the Auxito mini 16k, JDM 12k, and Auxito 12k. Here is my high level assessment of each.
Auxito 16k - wow, really bright - I mean REALLY bright. Virtually no cutoff and a lot of light spilling over the top. I adjusted them down quite a bit but was still afraid I was blinding oncoming cars. They were both clocked for 9-3 as they are adjustable. Road and over pass highway signs really lit up from quite far away. It was like running high beams but with a uniform light in front. I honestly liked them but had that feeling every time I drove they were really too bright. I wasn’t comfortable with them. The cost was $49. I did order and will use the 16k Auxito’s for high beams - they are great bulbs for that.

JDM 12k - what a change from the 16k Auxito’s. Definitely not as bright and they seemed to have more of a spotlight effect. I adjusted them up quite a bit from the 16k Auxito and the light was still more focused being able to see where both were hitting the road in front of me. They were not adjustable and neither was in the 9-3 position....more like 10-4. There was some cutoff but for some reason not a lot and they didnt reach out far enough for me nor did they provide a uniform across the road light. They were pricey at $69. I really had high expectations for these based on some of the other comments in this thread - maybe I got defective bulbs (?) as the box was not sealed and the bulbs were loose.... But at this point I don’t think these bulbs are for me.

Auxito 12k - hmmmm was my first impression. I see a solid cutoff. Brightness seemed ok....better than the JDM’s. These are also not adjustable and are in the 10-4 type position. The beams were what I was accustomed to in other cars. Pretty uniform but with the emphasis on the passenger side road line and the drivers side was emphasizing the middle of the lane while both still provided good lighting across the entire roadway. There was not as much spotlight effect as the JDM. Road and overpass signs are lit up but not glowing like the 16k. I’m happy with the distance and still playing with adjusting them. I’m still in the trial period but for the cost ($39 and I got them for $32) they seem to be what I’ll be using.....I just hope they are reliable.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
JDM 12k - what a change from the 16k Auxito’s. Definitely not as bright and they seemed to have more of a spotlight effect. I adjusted them up quite a bit from the 16k Auxito and the light was still more focused being able to see where both were hitting the road in front of me. They were not adjustable and neither was in the 9-3 position....more like 10-4. There was some cutoff but for some reason not a lot and they didnt reach out far enough for me nor did they provide a uniform across the road light. They were pricey at $69. I really had high expectations for these based on some of the other comments in this thread - maybe I got defective bulbs (?) as the box was not sealed and the bulbs were loose.... But at this point I don’t think these bulbs are for me...
I ended up returning the JDM's as well. After driving with them regularly, it just didn't feel like they were casting light as far as they should have and that they didn't make a large enough improvement. The first time I drove with them it seemed like they were a big upgrade but in day to day use that impression quickly faded.

After reading a couple stories of led's melting Ive decided, for now, to stick with the halogens and maybe find a better bulb. I re-aimed my lights a bit which made the stock bulbs a decent amount better.

I'll be checking junkyards this summer for some Lariat housings.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
It's interesting to notice with people using the same bulbs, some get flashed, some don't. I wonder if that's more a comment on the driving culture in your area than it is about the bulbs alignment/glare. It'd be interesting to collect data regarding if you get flashed and where you were when it happened, and see if there's any correlation. At this point, I'm sure there's not enough data to get a good sampling, but it'd still be interesting. Just the engineer in me wanting to collect data about everything. haha
I've adjusted mine several times and on highways, no one is bothered. It's when I'm alone on a rolling hill country I get flashed...predictably driven by blue haired old Toyotas...everyone's headlamp look like they're on highbeam over the top of hill...:crazy:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Saw this posted on a cop friend's FB page today. LOL. Guess it's going around the internet.

75233956_2585903768160972_6010166462797316096_n.jpg
Yes...
Installed the JDM Astar LED tonight.

Here are the 16k lumen Auxito as reference:
IMG_20200111_013508550.jpg

And here are the 12k lumen JDM Astar:
IMG_20200111_014530156.jpg

And the JDM with Hikari 12k lumen fog lamp:
IMG_20200111_014918807.jpg

As you can see, and what reiterates my previous conclusion, the cut off is much better with 12k than it is with 16k.

The JDM fit under the dust caps and are no noisier than the Auxito. So we can add the JDM to the list.
Your JDM appears to be brighter than Auxito 16k, contrary to other's results...am I reading this correctly? Are you still using JDM low beams? Thanks!

OP
OP
weasel1

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
The problem work talking pictures of bright things in the dark is you never know how the camera adjusted for the brightness. One would have to go full manual on the camera to make a fair comparison.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
The problem work talking pictures of bright things in the dark is you never know how the camera adjusted for the brightness. One would have to go full manual on the camera to make a fair comparison.
Which is why I did that with my stock/LED comparison. If it wasn't so much work to get and send these back, I'd be happy to take a set of each of the brands and do some comparison photos for everyone, just as a thought :)

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Could be...but in this case, (comparing the images) the other light sources appear to be consistent in brightness:)

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
After reviewing all the post on this thread, I'm leaning towards 12k lumens JDM ASTAR H11 for low beam and have less chance of annoying oncoming drivers. But use AXITO 16K lumens 9005 for all out bright high beam.

I'm pretty sure the consensus is JDM do fit comfortably under the dust cover. How about ASTAR?

What do you folks think?
Sponsored