Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had my first oil change recently with full synthetic and I will go with a change once a year. I only do 4K-5K per.
Sponsored

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
@joe. You hit another button...oil filters. There are many Youtube clips on various filters but something never addressed is - the filter medium. If it is as all mentioned, the length of the filter material is what seems to indicate whether or not one filter is better than another. What is not mentioned is the ability of the medium to actually filter. For example, would 50' of window screen material filter better than 3' of actual filter material. The answer is obvious. Most filter material can only filter down to 25-30 microns. The reason being through-put. Any finer inhibits the ability of oil to move through the engine as required for proper lube. Damage can occur down to 15 microns. If you are really concerned to the point you want to filter down to 15 (or less) microns, you'll have to install a by-pass filter. I

I've used the cheapest filter and the most expensive and have never had an oil or oil filter related failure. Nor do I know of anyone that has has a filter related failure. All of the talk about a failure is hear-say or I know a guy that... Vehicles today will easily last 150-200,000 miles with routine service and it's more important to do that service than worrying about this or that filter.

Let the nay-sayers begin...
Ah, the good old days of the 1950s and 1960s when add-on toilet paper filters were all the rage. I think you can still buy them. Wonder if scented Charmin would make your oil smell better?? :)

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
Since it came with break in oil and it is a turbo I had mine changed @ 2,000 miles and having free oil changes and I don't drive a lot of miles I plan on having it done every 2 - 3,000 until I use up my "FREE" oil changes for the first 36 months of ownership. My dealer uses Mobil-1 oil.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased a 2019 Ranger in late July 2019. I have not put a lot of mileage on the vehicle yet. After six months, I currently have 2700 miles on it. The FordPass app says my oil life is 55% and estimates a change is due in June 2020. That would be almost one year before my first oil change. That seems like a long time with no change.

What does the manufacturer recommend in my situation with low mileage? Should I go ahead and get the oil changed now or is it ok to wait until I hit 5000 miles regardless of the duration of time with no change.
These aren't the Engines of the 60's nor is it the oil of the 60's. So much has changed that 10,000 or Once a year is plenty. Your local Auto Store Loves you when you come in for Mobil One every 3000 miles! LOL!
Sponsored