Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3L 4x4 sport
Occupation
US GOVT
Vehicle Showcase
Is there anyone in DFW that may assist with removing Crash Bars, getting tires installed this week and have no way of cutting the CB at home.
Sponsored

RangerCoby

First Name
Coby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Crew Lariat FX4
ProComp, BDS and FabTech sell modified crash bars. Any reputable shop should be able to install them.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Is there anyone in DFW that may assist with removing Crash Bars, getting tires installed this week and have no way of cutting the CB at home.
You can remove the crash bars without cutting. For the front, you'll need to loosen the front bumper enough that you can pull (one side at a time) just forward enough (1/2" or so) to allow the CB to slide out. For the rear, same but different part which includes unbolting the lower attachment of the fender trim enough to pull out and back just enough to allow the rear to slide out. Good luck. Sorry I have no pics but you'll see what I mean when you begin sliding the bars out and how little they're being interfered with...

BTW, I'm a skeptic of modified or aftermarket CB as they're not crash tested at all...I doubt they're good for anything other than some peace of mind...personally, I'd spend more time paying attention to your driving as these bars are there to improve the offset crash numbers...crash that would be and can only be caused by the driver...offset crashes against immovable objects are preventable...

FYI, .I doubt the truck would totally fail the crash test without them or nor are they legally required...Raptors do not have crash bars (regular F150s do) ...you have to ask how much safer you are with them if this is the case...IMO...

Last edited:
OP
OP
DevilDoc

DevilDoc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
US GOVT
Vehicle Showcase
You can remove the crash bars without cutting. For the front, you'll need to loosen the front bumper enough that you can pull (one side at a time) just forward enough (1/2" or so) to allow the CB to slide out. For the rear, same but different part which includes unbolting the lower attachment of the fender trim enough to pull out and back just enough to allow the rear to slide out. Good luck. Sorry I have no pics but you'll see what I mean when you begin sliding the bars out and how little they're being interfered with...

BTW, I'm a skeptic of modified or aftermarket CB as they're not crash tested at all...I doubt they're good for anything other than some peace of mind...personally, I'd spend more time paying attention to your driving as these bars are there to improve the offset crash numbers...crash that would be and can only be caused by the driver...offset crashes against immovable objects are preventable...

FYI, .I doubt the truck would totally fail the crash test without them or nor are they legally required...Raptors do not have crash bars (regular F150s do) ...you have to ask how much safer you are with them if this is the case...IMO...
Then that's the way I'll go, it's interesting with Raptor/F150 CB delete. I also have worried about the resale or insurance, simply removing them I can always decide to put them back in if I sale it vs cutting it out. Thanks for the help

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
..Raptors do not have crash bars (regular F150s do) ...you have to ask how much safer you are with them if this is the case...IMO...
Then that's the way I'll go, it's interesting with Raptor/F150 CB delete.
You're comparing apples and oranges fellas.

Full size Raptors have different front suspensions, they are not simply stock F-150's with bigger tires.

The full size Raptors are also lifted.... why does that matter...

As soon as you lift the front end of your Ranger with a kit, the stock crash test data is suspect and likely no longer even valid. The front and rear crash bars are there to lessen the damage that results from the tire/wheel assembly being pushed into the cab in the foot well area. On a lifted truck that tire to crash bar orientation / proximity has been changed... for better... or for worse :question: The jury is still out.

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You're comparing apples and oranges fellas.

Full size Raptors have different front suspensions, they are not simply stock F-150's with bigger tires.

The full size Raptors are also lifted.... why does that matter...

As soon as you lift the front end of your Ranger with a kit, the stock crash test data is suspect and likely no longer even valid. The front and rear crash bars are there to lessen the damage that results from the tire/wheel assembly being pushed into the cab in the foot well area. On a lifted truck that tire to crash bar orientation / proximity has been changed... for better... or for worse :question: The jury is still out.
Fair enough...we're all guessing on the consequences of not having or using aftermarket CB...and this is just my opinion but it's ultimately up to individual's comfort and peace of mind...me? I think I'll be just fine without them...who knows what the fat tires and lifted condition would do to the crash numbers...aftermarket CB are placebo's in my opinion as they will never be able to validate their usefulness...going back to my main point which is these NTSA's very precise and controlled offset crash test into solid barriers are preventable in real life...just paying attention and you can avoid 99 percent of crashes even those caused by other idiots...I have worn but not needed the benefit of seat belts for the past 35 years:)

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Fair enough...we're all guessing on the consequences of not having or using aftermarket CB...and this is just my opinion but it's ultimately up to individual's comfort and peace of mind...me? I think I'll be just find without them...who knows what the fat tires and lifted condition would do to the crash numbers...that's what I'm saying...aftermarket fab CB are placebo's in my opinion as they will never be able to validate their usefulness...goes back to my main contention which is offset crash test into solid barriers are preventable in real life...just pay attention and you can avoid 99 percent of crashes even those caused by other idiots...I'm 60 and have escaped countless potential wrecks just by being attentive...
Hi Sid,

I agree that aftermarket crash bars may be worse than no crash bars...analysis is required as well as actual crash testing for certification, which the aftermarket does not have to do..subtle differences might go unnoticed like slight creases or dimples etc.

A back story...

The 1998 Ranger was having trouble meeting the Occupant Crash Safety HIC numbers regulated by the Government...HIC is Head Injury Criteria and these numbers have to be below a specific value of 500. How this is determined is beyond the scope of this post, but Ranger was above this number for the passenger as measured by a instrumented crash dummy. Several tests confirmed this was a problem as HIC values continued to exceed these numbers. By watching the slow motion cameras etc it was determined that the passenger dummy was hitting the A pillar with too much force...So noodling on how to fix, it was proposed to put a grab handle on the A pillar located where the dummy was hitting its head. Guess what...It worked! The Ranger buyers thought this was a great feature for the passenger to assist them climbing into the Ranger, but this was not a customer feature by design, but a way to reduce HIC values below the regulation. The good news for Ranger buyers was the feature was a "things gone right" and the HIC values were lowered to significantly help reduce head injuries in the unfortunate event of a crash...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Sid,

I agree that aftermarket crash bars may be worse than no crash bars...analysis is required as well as actual crash testing for certification, which the aftermarket does not have to do..subtle differences might go unnoticed like slight creases or dimples etc.

A back story...

The 1998 Ranger was having trouble meeting the Occupant Crash Safety HIC numbers regulated by the Government...HIC is Head Injury Criteria and these numbers have to be below a specific value of 500. How this is determined is beyond the scope of this post, but Ranger was above this number for the passenger as measured by a instrumented crash dummy. Several tests confirmed this was a problem as HIC values continued to exceed these numbers. By watching the slow motion cameras etc it was determined that the passenger dummy was hitting the A pillar with too much force...So noodling on how to fix, it was proposed to put a grab handle on the A pillar located where the dummy was hitting its head. Guess what...It worked! The Ranger buyers thought this was a great feature for the passenger to assist them climbing into the Ranger, but this was not a customer feature by design, but a way to reduce HIC values below the regulation. The good news for Ranger buyers was the feature was a "things gone right" and the HIC values were lowered to significantly help reduce head injuries in the unfortunate event of a crash...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
LOL...I never thought a grab handle as a crash aid:LOL:

OP
OP
DevilDoc

DevilDoc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
US GOVT
Vehicle Showcase
I'll never look at grab handles the same :crackup:

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
to install a 285/70/17 tires.

Why not just use a level lift rather than touch the crash bars and compromise safety.

Done it on my truck.

IMG_20200103_084718.jpg

IMG_20200103_084106.jpg

IMG_20200117_164731.jpg
Since that's not the American version of the truck, I'd imagine the crash bars are setup differently... The whole lower part of the front bumper is different.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Sid,

A back story...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil, that's funny you mention that, because one of my friends who works as a crash safety engineer told me that OEMs are starting to remove grab handles from the pillars due to concerns of occupants hitting their heads on them.

My guess would be that since the introduction of side curtain airbags, the risk of the occupant hitting their head on the A-pillar is greatly reduced. However, with a grab handle protruding from the A-pillar, the airbags are most likely not able to provide enough cover over the handle. Perhaps grab handles no longer cut it anymore as a safety aid considering the advancements in crash safety :shock:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, that's funny you mention that, because one of my friends who works as a crash safety engineer told me that OEMs are starting to remove grab handles from the pillars due to concerns of occupants hitting their heads on them.

My guess would be that since the introduction of side curtain airbags, the risk of the occupant hitting their head on the A-pillar is greatly reduced. However, with a grab handle protruding from the A-pillar, the airbags are most likely not able to provide enough cover over the handle. Perhaps grab handles no longer cut it anymore as a safety aid considering the advancements in crash safety :shock:
Hi Doug,

Don' t know much about side curtains as they were not used on Trucks in that timeframe...Grab handles lowered HIC to below 500. Did the standard change, maybe and now grab handles are not effective??? Do not know.

Best,
Phil Schilke

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Doug,

Don' t know much about side curtains as they were not used on Trucks in that timeframe...Grab handles lowered HIC to below 500. Did the standard change, maybe and now grab handles are not effective??? Do not know.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Phil, it could have very well been that the standard changed since all other safety metrics have been getting stricter over the past decade as well.

OP
OP
DevilDoc

DevilDoc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
US GOVT
Vehicle Showcase
Welp pulled the trigger today and purchased 285/70/17 plan on removing the CB and adding a 1.5 wheel spacer on Friday. Can't wait it's like xmas
Sponsored