Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Hi Langley,

Sorry to see Lorain assembly close. Spent many days in the Lorain area as I had Econoline/Aerostar NVH. Nothing to do with the car side of the plant that produced the Thunderchicken.... Always loved the Ohio hospitality!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil...my brother worked there for 30 years then did 6 more at the Louisville truck plant. All three of my boys are mechanical engineers via University of Toledo, one works for a major seat provider to the auto industry in Michigan near Ann Harbor.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Here's my 1st try at this. Going to also try for highway and drive-by vids later.

@viperwolf @Rp930

That sounds really good Aaron. It has a real nice tone to it and I like that it doesn't have that whiney lawnmower sound like all the imports have here. lol

OP
OP
Polar Bear

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
That sounds really good Aaron. It has a real nice tone to it and I like that it doesn't have that whiney lawnmower sound like all the imports have here. lol
Thanks man! Agreed on the lawnmower!!

OP
OP
Polar Bear

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I'm wondering how this compares to a 3" system as far as releasing the extra ponies. Sometimes too big of an exhaust on the Harley's hurts performance. a 2.5 with a high flow muffler might be pretty good for a non modded truck. does anyone know?

RangerCoby

First Name
Coby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Crew Lariat FX4
I'm wondering how this compares to a 3" system as far as releasing the extra ponies. Sometimes too big of an exhaust on the Harley's hurts performance. a 2.5 with a high flow muffler might be pretty good for a non modded truck. does anyone know?
What hurts performance on Harleys in regards to pipes is drag pipes or in other words big pipes with no baffles which results in little to no back pressure.

A similar setup on a truck would be running really big pipes with no muffler or cat (straight pipes).

I think as long as you stay at 3 inch or under on our trucks you should be okay. The turbo helps add some back pressure.

I own three Harleys. An Evo Dyna Wide Glide, an Evo Sportster and an Ironhead Sportster. :rockon:

TommyAtomic

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Anyone telling you about backpressure is making a hammers and banana’s comparison. Turbo charged engines aren’t effected by backpressure like a naturally aspirated engine is.

If someone is talking about back pressure regarding a turbocharged engine theyre probably thinking about manifold scavenging which only applies to the design of the turbo manifold (from the exhaust ports to the hot side turbo inlet) I would be deeply skeptical of anyone wanting to modify the turbo manifold. The exhaust from the turbo back is open season for modification.

There is something to be said for not going too huge but probably not for the reasons you are thinking of. Its not going to hurt power output but it will effect drivability. Thats probably what ford engineers were thinking when they spec’d the corked up muffler. It limits power and throttle response but in exchange provides a smooth predictable consumer friendly acceleration curve. .

The first thing you will notice swapping the stock muffler for the Magniflow or installing the Flowmaster catback is faster spooling . This equates to more throttle response and more aggressive acceleration. The faster the turbo spools the more aggressive the throttle response will be.

Magnaflow

First Name
Magnaflow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Tommy's post above is accurate; on turbocharged engines, the turbo is already the biggest restriction in the exhaust system, so there is no negative impact on the power by using a large tubing diameter as there would be on an NA engine.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Tommy's post above is accurate; on turbocharged engines, the turbo is already the biggest restriction in the exhaust system, so there is no negative impact on the power by using a large tubing diameter as there would be on an NA engine.
Would this apply to diesels also?

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military

TommyAtomic

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Yes its a Bi Turbo Diesel, its same as the Ranger Raptor engine
Still yes. Big pipes will improve how quickly both turbo’s spool. But things will get loud. I’ve never found the sound of diesel engines to be all that charming but what YOU like is what you like. If it makes you happy and you arent “rolling coal” then go for it. Rolling Coal specifically negatively impacts power output on top of being disgusting.
Sponsored