Ranger Raptor paddle shifters on US Ranger?

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
First thing I would investigate is the number of slip rings between the two steering wheels. If it is an additional slip ring, the a new turn signal switch and wiring would be required. .If it is a multiplexed signal, there would need to be an adaption to the powertrain module or a jumper maybe...Reflash of the processor maybe...hopefully someone inside of Ford Performance can pull together a package for a DIY upgrade to Raptor and market in the Ford Performance catalog.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
years ago when I disassembled my first steering wheel I had a horrible introduction in what slip rings are lol it wasn't much fun...
Sponsored

ldr01rl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Good thinking. But just going old school with a shift lever on the column would be beneficial to having a bench seat in the Crew version. Could you imagine the marketability of a six (6) passenger Ranger, five (5) passenger extended cab, three (3) passenger regular cab?
If your transmission is active, like the 10spd, paddle shifters are a mute item.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Good thinking. But just going old school with a shift lever on the column would be beneficial to having a bench seat in the Crew version. Could you imagine the marketability of a six (6) passenger Ranger, five (5) passenger extended cab, three (3) passenger regular cab?
If your transmission is active, like the 10spd, paddle shifters are a mute item.
Hi Robert,

I have a column shift back story, but it too late tonight as Wife and I celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary...so maybe tomorrow with bench seating and column shift disaster...Stay tunned...pls remind me tomorrow...Glenn Levitt on the rocks settling in nicely...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
This thread begs the question: Will the 2019/2020 Explorer steering wheel fit the Ranger?? It has paddle shifters (at least the loaner I had did). Also was a heated steer wheel. Might get two birds with one stone... anyway, seem it would be the easiest place to start.

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Robert,

I have a column shift back story, but it too late tonight as Wife and I celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary...so maybe tomorrow with bench seating and column shift disaster...Stay tunned...pls remind me tomorrow...Glenn Levitt on the rocks settling in nicely...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Congratulations to you and your bride!! Longevity is a great thing.

jubilum

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford ranger raptor
Occupation
businessman
yes it is possible. 2 options: add paddleshifters or change to sw with shifters.
havent tried them out yet thou, having troubles shipping in parts from thai

20200326_112314.jpg

20200326_112304.jpg

Last edited:

jubilum

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford ranger raptor
Occupation
businessman
This thread begs the question: Will the 2019/2020 Explorer steering wheel fit the Ranger?? It has paddle shifters (at least the loaner I had did). Also was a heated steer wheel. Might get two birds with one stone... anyway, seem it would be the easiest place to start.

were able to make this work?

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
were able to make this work?
No, have not tried as yet... winter been to cold LOL But this summer was thinking of looking into it, thought to be honest, this mod is a fair ways down on my priority list.

That said, I have been thinking about it... On my Lariat (as I assume on mode Ranger models) is a button on the side of the "stick" that lets you manually move througth the gears; so am thinking just adding paddle shifters (containing a micro switch or some sort of wireless switch to a receiver that sends the signal to the same module as the shifter button does) to the wheel is the way to go. Using a wire from the shifters down steering wheel column and not get tangled up when the wheel turns will be complicated, IMO. Need to see what/how the explorer wheel does it.

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
Waking this thread up again...
Been doing a little research on the topic. Seems swapping in a F series Raptor wheel which has paddles in to a non-Raptor F series is quite common.

This outfit makes a PnP harness to make it easy.. 30 minute job.
https://www.boostedgreygoosedesigns.net/

I have e-mailed tonight them with some question about a Ranger harness to make it a easy process.

Also asked if they knew if a Explorer wheel would work... presumably with one of their type of harness. (don't think the F series wheel would work)

I keep hearing about the Ranger edition Raptor wheel. Can't find many photos of it. Is there a USA version?? Or just non-USA??

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Waking this thread up again...
Been doing a little research on the topic. Seems swapping in a F series Raptor wheel which has paddles in to a non-Raptor F series is quite common.

This outfit makes a PnP harness to make it easy.. 30 minute job.
https://www.boostedgreygoosedesigns.net/

I have e-mailed tonight them with some question about a Ranger harness to make it a easy process.

Also asked if they knew if a Explorer wheel would work... presumably with one of their type of harness. (don't think the F series wheel would work)

I keep hearing about the Ranger edition Raptor wheel. Can't find many photos of it. Is there a USA version?? Or just non-USA??
My mom has a 2020 Titainium Escape that has paddle shifters....might work for our Rangers ??

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
My mom has a 2020 Titanium Escape that has paddle shifters....might work for our Rangers ??
Possibly... This is the Explorer wheel I was thinking about... Got photo of the Escape wheel?? Also, what is the diameter and does the airbag match the Ranger??
s-l1600 v4.jpg

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I looked and the explorer steering wheel does not fit.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Not knocking anyone that likes them, because it seems I'm a minority on this, but I've never understood the fascination with paddle shifters.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Possibly... This is the Explorer wheel I was thinking about... Got photo of the Escape wheel?? Also, what is the diameter and does the airbag match the Ranger??
I'll take a look and some measurements the next time I'm there. I'll only be able to get exterior dimensions--will that be enough ?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Not knocking anyone that likes them, because it seems I'm a minority on this, but I've never understood the fascination with paddle shifters.
I had and have them on my Saabs, used them a couple of times and never since, to me would be another set of too many buttons on the wheel. On my Hyundai I think you move the gear selector right or left, but I've never bothered using them .
Sponsored