COO
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Anthony,

Two thoughts....possible the Blowoff Valve? An Exhaust resonance maybe

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co.. Retired
Thanks for your response Phil. I don't think its the blowoff valve, because I'm almost positive it is from behind me. Exhaust resonance could definitely be it though. I just tried to go out and capture it on my phone, but it isn't loud enough to get picked up.

Like I said, it is barely perceptible and I know how I am about stuff like this (ie. the normal person would not even notice it). If it continues to bug me or gets any worse, I'll dig deeper. At this point, a dealer wouldn't do anything about it.
Sponsored

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, that is correct.

I do want to add, I feel no vibrations, it is totally just a sound. Going to try and record it today, but my phone may not pick it up....like I said it is not loud, but you can definitely hear it.
Maybe this is the source of your drone sound?
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS71_43eDn7eGCS4jDqqDiKpWlNLKLQxt5Dz0Npzm7GKF6CmizM2g&s.jpg

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase

IdriveG5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4
If I have the radio off and pay attention, I believe I hear the sound you are referring to as well. Like you said happens as soon as you let off the gas.

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
If I have the radio off and pay attention, I believe I hear the sound you are referring to as well. Like you said happens as soon as you let off the gas.
Thanks for joining in the fun! That makes me feel a little better (as in, it is most likely a normal characteristic of the vehicle).

BTW: For me it only seems to happen when I'm cruising above 70mph+ and let off the gas.

IdriveG5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4
Thanks for joining in the fun! That makes me feel a little better (as in, it is most likely a normal characteristic of the vehicle).

BTW: For me it only seems to happen when I'm cruising above 70mph+ and let off the gas.
I only noticed it at freeway speeds as well.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I was noticing this the other day for the first time as well. I was thinking it was emminating from the passenger front, so I was thinking wheel hub, but I know it's not always easy to trace the source of noise outside when you're inside, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn it was gear lash from the rear diff. I have a couple of squeaks and rattles (one in the dash that I'm really torn about asking the dealership to resolve or not... I don't really want them tearing into the dash and doing more harm than good), and was planning on showing this one to them as well, but who knows when I'll get around to that. I want to wait until it gets colder to make sure nothing else shrinks and loosens up.

Deleted member 1634

Are you sure it's something mechanical? Could it be wind noise or wind buffeting? The truck isn't exactly the most aerodynamic shape, and at that speed I wouldn't be surprised if there was some weird flow or vortices going on that wouldn't necessarily be present at a slower speed. I'm not saying that's what it is, just throwing it out there as an idea.

petulantskeptic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Crew Lariat
I hear a similar sound to the one you're describing. I've thought it came from my Decked system vibrating against my truck bed, since it definitely sounds like it comes from behind me. It's like a deep thrum.

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
I hear a similar sound to the one you're describing. I've thought it came from my Decked system vibrating against my truck bed, since it definitely sounds like it comes from behind me. It's like a deep thrum.
That's a good way of describing it. A deep thrum. (Never thought I'd ever use that in a sentence, but there ya go)

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't be surprised one bit, if the common denominator ends up being the installation of the tail gate damper.
It could conceivably have altered the balance of the truck.
most definitely need to have two installed, one each side.
Dammit, I think you are on to something there.

After some doing a little math based on the aerodynamic qualities of the dampener and the imbalance it causes on the driver's side, I think we've got our culprit!

main-qimg-b87748c404cb540abd86c0c17c896aca.png

petulantskeptic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Crew Lariat
I wouldn't be surprised one bit, if the common denominator ends up being the installation of the tail gate damper.
It could conceivably have altered the balance of the truck.
most definitely need to have two installed, one each side.
I was hearing it long before I installed the tailgate damper.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Dammit, I think you are on to something there.

After some doing a little math based on the aerodynamic qualities of the dampener and the imbalance it causes on the driver's side, I think we've got our culprit!

main-qimg-b87748c404cb540abd86c0c17c896aca.png
ROFL...:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: !

TrebMaxx

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4 Ford Ranger
I wonder if this noise could be related to the dual drive shaft. Reverse of the slight shudder some get from a dead start.
Sponsored