Lariat: Which lamps are NOT LED?

Myles

First Name
Myles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew
Been lurking here since I ordered my ranger back in February and just took delivery of my SuperCrew Lariat yesterday. I was hoping you fine folks can clarify exactly which lamps are not LED on the Lariat and also recommend LED replacements. I've heard some conflicting information on what is and isn't LED so was hoping to get some clarification. Thanks!
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Been lurking here since I ordered my ranger back in February and just took delivery of my SuperCrew Lariat yesterday. I was hoping you fine folks can clarify exactly which lamps are not LED on the Lariat and also recommend LED replacements. I've heard some conflicting information on what is and isn't LED so was hoping to get some clarification. Thanks!
I think it is the following:
  • Puddle lights on side view mirrors
  • Turn signal lights on side view mirrors
  • Side marker lights
  • License plate lights
I've heard people say the bed and or 3rd brake light are not LED, but they look LED to me.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Front turn signal Standard Bulb, Front Marker Lights Standard Bulb can be changed to LED, Mirror marker light Standard Bulb can be changed to LED, Mirror puddle lights standard bulb can be changed to LED, License Plate bulbs are standard and can be changed to LED. A few threads have discussions on them all.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/license-plate-bulb-change-to-led.1961/

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/exterior-light-bulb-replacement.1998/

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/led-types.2308/

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I think it is the following:
  • Puddle lights on side view mirrors
  • Turn signal lights on side view mirrors
  • Side marker lights
  • License plate lights
I've heard people say the bed and or 3rd brake light are not LED, but they look LED to me.
Lariat, 3rd brake is all LED in other trim models it's not.
Bed lights can be added with different systems. I've used LED strips and will be adding one under the hood this week too.
Front turn signals can be changed but will cause a hyper-blink on the dash but not on the outside of the vehicle unless Forscan is tweaked which some of the guys have done and played with.

ebFX4

First Name
Eber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger FX4 - 5G
Thanks for this thread. I haven’t done the full sweep to see what is and isn’t LED. :thumbsup:

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
are the lariat fogs LED? If so are they upgradeable? Thanks

MikeD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Pinto
Not using LED turn signal lights seems like a lazy value engineering decision. The 2020 Tacoma has a nice LED turn signal in the front for example. The unit savings couldn't have been much.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not using LED turn signal lights seems like a lazy value engineering decision. The 2020 Tacoma has a nice LED turn signal in the front for example. The unit savings couldn't have been much.
The front turn signal lights are LED (on the Lariat) it is just the mirror lights that aren't. But yes, I agree - it seems like it was kind of a penny pinching move not to put LEDs in the mirrors. I've fixed that problem. I still have halogens in the license plate lights and side marker lights, but have changed out the others. I'm considering changing out the license plate lights because it sounds like it makes the backup camera work better at night. The side marker lights I don't really care about too much honestly.

MikeD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Pinto
The front turn signal lights are LED (on the Lariat) it is just the mirror lights that aren't. But yes, I agree - it seems like it was kind of a penny pinching move not to put LEDs in the mirrors. I've fixed that problem. I still have halogens in the license plate lights and side marker lights, but have changed out the others. I'm considering changing out the license plate lights because it sounds like it makes the backup camera work better at night. The side marker lights I don't really care about too much honestly.
Thanks for the correction on the front turn signal lights! That's good to hear. I'm less concerned about the mirrors but agreed full-LED w/o exception would have been appreciated.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the correction on the front turn signal lights! That's good to hear. I'm less concerned about the mirrors but agreed full-LED w/o exception would have been appreciated.
My apologies - after seeing this and re-reading some of the threads I actually went out and turned on my 4 ways and looked at the front turn signal lights and they DO appear to be halogens - NOT LEDs. I could have sworn they were LEDs, but I guess not. Maybe I need to swap out those lamps too. I wonder how hard they are to get to and replace? Anyone know? The bulbs aren't that expensive.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Anybody change Lariat fog light bulbs to something brighter? Are they LED?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My apologies - after seeing this and re-reading some of the threads I actually went out and turned on my 4 ways and looked at the front turn signal lights and they DO appear to be halogens - NOT LEDs. I could have sworn they were LEDs, but I guess not. Maybe I need to swap out those lamps too. I wonder how hard they are to get to and replace? Anyone know? The bulbs aren't that expensive.
Hi Rob,

Let us know what bulb you buy so we can duplicate if we desire!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rob,

Let us know what bulb you buy so we can duplicate if we desire!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I did a little checking today and while the bulbs are reasonably easy to get at (don't need to remove anything,just do a little bit of contortion on the passenger side), the bulbs themselves are pretty spendy. You can get bulbs for $25, but it sounds like it will trigger a hyper blink situation. The diode dynamics bulbs are between $40 and $90. At this point I think I will just wait for them to burn out and replace them with LEDs at that point.

Diode dynamics:
https://www.pandamotorworks.com/col...eplacement-ford-ranger?variant=16216740757594

Sylvania replacements which would work, but I would be concerned about the hyper blink - although that might be able to be corrected in FORScan:
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ack-of-2/7440aledbp2/5632578/2019/ford/ranger

I'm sure there are other options out there, but since they do work pretty well (they are pretty bright), I think I'll just stay with what I've got for now.

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
I was under the impression the fog lights where LED. At least that was what was on my build sheet, now you are making me think I need to check to be sure. I've replaced all the non LED exterior lights with the exception of the puddles on my Lariat Ranger. I've not gotten the gumption to tackle that project yet since I'm still sitting on my lights a siren install from many months ago...lol!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I did a little checking today and while the bulbs are reasonably easy to get at (don't need to remove anything,just do a little bit of contortion on the passenger side), the bulbs themselves are pretty spendy. You can get bulbs for $25, but it sounds like it will trigger a hyper blink situation. The diode dynamics bulbs are between $40 and $90. At this point I think I will just wait for them to burn out and replace them with LEDs at that point.

Diode dynamics:
https://www.pandamotorworks.com/col...eplacement-ford-ranger?variant=16216740757594

Sylvania replacements which would work, but I would be concerned about the hyper blink - although that might be able to be corrected in FORScan:
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ack-of-2/7440aledbp2/5632578/2019/ford/ranger

I'm sure there are other options out there, but since they do work pretty well (they are pretty bright), I think I'll just stay with what I've got for now.
Hi Rob,

That does not seem to be worth it at this juncture. If a bulb number can be researched to 1000 lightbulbs.com for example it might be better pricing, but the hyper blink is a deal killer in my case...not going to mess with Forscan for turnsignal bulbs. I did my motorhome in LED and it was about $15 for six LED T/S bulbs for the Freightliner Chassis...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored