Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
no necessarily.
but you don't need to go to the extreme about it.

get an oil sample.
know exactly your percentage.
start monitoring it.
and seriously, don't be pulling the dipstick every day. once a week, once every 500 miles whatever, just stop the daily freak show on is it higher? does it smell???
if you have the coin send out a sample every 1000 miles.
if its over spec on fuel dilution, change your oil.
start monitoring every 1000 again and continue.
you might do a bunch of early oil changes....but you got some hard numbers to back up your concerns and help determine the cause.
you'll have a record of everything if your engine goes south or doesn't get better.

the soapbox with little facts attached to it wont help you
Sure not saying folks aren't having issue with this...but to say some folks get a little too excited is an understatement! When I see talk of different synthetic oil brands causing rattles in their Ranger engine I don't know what to say..... :rockon:
We've talked about this many times before and it's very interesting how some have absolutely no issues with this and others do. It doesn't seem to matter when the engine was built. Just make sure you run your Ranger good here and there. If you are just driving to the store and back and don't get on the road much, you might want too. If you granny your Ranger you might want to think about not doing that and go out and do some romping around. You just might see the problem evaporate.....maybe install a catch can....
I've got 65K on my Ranger and to say I have not babied her is a HUGE understatement! I've been tuned and had a catch can installed since 20K. She runs as good or BETTER than the day I bought her....
According to my service advisor, these 2.3 L Turbo motors are high performance machines....maybe if you treat it like one you won't have as many issues....just saying.....;)
BTW...when it's all said and done....how is your truck running, any real issues besides a gas smell in the oil or a rise in the oil level?
Ok....let the hatefulness begin...lol
Sponsored

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I'm not sure what to feel about this whole thing. I've had my truck since late 2019, change the oil and filters every 5K miles at the dealership so I don't really KNOW what oil they're using, check the oil maybe twice between oil changes, and just drive the truck daily. So far, so good. Nobody's said I have any kind of gas-in-oil problems to date.

Am I an anomaly, or do many of the rest of you just do basic maintnance stuff and just driiiiive the trucks?

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS; Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADA
Rather harsh there friend, there are multiple Blackstone reports on here with gas dilution.(and in a meaningful amount)
I read through the big 100+ pg. thread and none of the reports came back as being so diluted as to cause issues. Oil dilution is normal for DI motors. Every manufacturer will tell you this.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I read through the big 100+ pg. thread and none of the reports came back as being so diluted as to cause issues. Oil dilution is normal for DI motors. Every manufacturer will tell you this.
Gee, Thanks for your Opinion and Very Knowledgeable Input !!!!

Last edited:

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I'm not sure what to feel about this whole thing. I've had my truck since late 2019, change the oil and filters every 5K miles at the dealership so I don't really KNOW what oil they're using, check the oil maybe twice between oil changes, and just drive the truck daily. So far, so good. Nobody's said I have any kind of gas-in-oil problems to date.

Am I an anomaly, or do many of the rest of you just do basic maintnance stuff and just driiiiive the trucks?
Yeah I change the oil myself every 5k and I'm not checking it for fuel or watching the level. Nor am I posting "what's this engine noise" videos or having heart palpitations when the transmission shifts hard.

I have an 8 year warranty and if it breaks Ford can fix it. I bought a new truck to avoid worrying about it all the time. If I wanted to do that I would have kept my 15 year old truck.

Ranger_Pawl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
- Draftsman
It's kinda early in the life of these trucks to say whether there will be issues or not. Either way, not a reason to call someone a moron. ):

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
There are other threads on here that cover this “issue” in detail. I have yet to hear of anyone blowing up an engine or having a replacement engine installed because of it.

Get some Blackstone reports to backup your assumptions before making noise about it.

A year ago when I bought my truck this was a very active subject on here. So much so that I almost passed on getting a Ranger because of it.

Glad I didn’t listen to the naysayers. My ride has been nothing but a gem!

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
A year ago when I bought my truck this was a very active subject on here. So much so that I almost passed on getting a Ranger because of it.

Glad I didn’t listen to the naysayers. My ride has been nothing but a gem!
Same here. except my son keeps thinking he needs to drive it instead of his car?

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4

No, you aren't an anomaly. I just drive my truck and take it to the dealer for regular service. I bought a service contract, so I actually lose money if I don't take it in on time. It drives great. The only "problem" I've had was the lugging thing that was fixed with the TSB.

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS; Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADA
Gee, Thanks for your Opinion and Very Knowledgeable Input !!!!
Yes, like folks saying their engine oil smells like gas. I'd be more worried if it smelled like diesel or kerosene.

What are we complaining about again?

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
Changed the oil at 4127 miles,because the level was already coming up and smelled like gas,put 6 qts in it which put it a hair below the top of the hash mark on dip stick,now at 1052 on the fresh oil it’s right at the top hole is which is the maximum oil level!
so sad for such a nice riding pickup

This is the problem with this forum. A tale as old as time itself. SMDH.

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
Changed the oil at 4127 miles,because the level was already coming up and smelled like gas,put 6 qts in it which put it a hair below the top of the hash mark on dip stick,now at 1052 on the fresh oil it’s right at the top hole is which is the maximum oil level!
so sad for such a nice riding pickup
Also this is NOT an airport no need to let us know when you depart. HAVE A NICE FLIGHT.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I have a theory,without adequate data to confirm it...
Based on the construction of this engine, along with its having both DI and turbo,
I suspect that a LOT of the "gas in the oil" problem is from Cold starts with extremely short trips and/or hard acceleration on a cold engine.
The engine will run rich at startup , tolerances are somewhat loose at startup.
Add that to the fact that the engine must run for twenty minutes before it is completely warmed up.
I say.. don't crowd it at least until you visually SEE the temp guage move.
When possible interspace a few longer trips on a warm engine.
A thousand 2-mile trips are a lot worse than two 1000-mile trips

The vapor point on Gasoline is lowered for winter grade and raised for summer grade, so when the seasons are changing, buy fuel from high volume stations.

Another factor may well be that some folks who never opened their hood before were alerted to check on a problem without fully understanding what's normal.

Then of course there is that RARE occasion when there an electronic or mechanical cause.
(Everything put together, sooner or later falls apart.)

This engine is a true MARVEL of modern engineering, and it performs as efficiently and reliably as just about any engine ever offered.

Last edited:

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Same here. except my son keeps thinking he needs to drive it instead of his car?
JUST DON'T!!, the very first time I let my Son drive my Bronco he got in a wreck showing off to some girls, so I got him a little slammer and didn't let him touch it again.