OEM Block Heater Installation

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Platinum 4x4 & 2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
For those of you in the frozen north, how many of you are having the OEM block heater installed in your Ranger because it wasn't manufactured with a block heater? I'm sure with winter on the way, inventory will be depleted soon.

I couldn't find anything that showed how the new wire as. for the block heater should be routed. I have turned the installation over to the dealer.

Part #s are as follows:
KB3Z-6B018-B – (Wire assembly)
GJ7Z-6A051-B – (Heater element)
Sponsored

towpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Lariet F150
Todd, your profile says Central FL. Are you moving north? What is your reason to get a block heater?

OP
OP

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Todd, your profile says Central FL. Are you moving north? What is your reason to get a block heater?
That's a darn good question !!

Each year at the end of Jan. or the beginning of Feb, my wife travels to Maine for a week or 2. Typically temps range between 0*F and -10*F.

Last edited:

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I lived in Fla before I retired. It gets cold there maybe 40 degrees...:LOL:...with occasional dips into the 20's (for a few hours.
It hits 50 in south Fla and people go nuts with jackets hats, ect.
50 degrees here in Va and I'm out washing the vehicles in a t-shirt.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I actually ordered the parts from the dealer, but decided not to move forward with the installation after a parts/labor cost estimate in the $1,000 range. FWIW, there is more than one variant of the block heater (VIN required to get it right) and the dealer procedure includes removing the intake manifold. If you have the intake off for some other reason (maybe a future intake valve cleaning) that would be a good opportunity to install the block heater.

OP
OP

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually ordered the parts from the dealer, but decided not to move forward with the installation after a parts/labor cost estimate in the $1,000 range. FWIW, there is more than one variant of the block heater (VIN required to get it right) and the dealer procedure includes removing the intake manifold. If you have the intake off for some other reason (maybe a future intake valve cleaning) that would be a good opportunity to install the block heater.
For the 2019 Ranger, the workshop manual only lists 1 location for other block heater element and installation does NOT require removal of the intake manifold

Parts are parts, makes no difference if I install them or the dealer. Cost is the same.

The dealer quoted me 3 hours of labor for the complete install.

Attachments

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
The temps you cited in Maine don't sound like they would require a block heater, at least not in a gas engine. We hit -10 an lower occasionally here an it doesn't usually last long I've never had a problem with a newer car not starting at 10 - 20 below. Carbureted cars have problems an beater cars but not new(er) cars.

OP
OP

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The temps you cited in Maine don't sound like they would require a block heater, at least not in a gas engine. We hit -10 an lower occasionally here an it doesn't usually last long I've never had a problem with a newer car not starting at 10 - 20 below. Carbureted cars have problems an beater cars but not new(er) cars.
I would rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

It's not a matter of the $$$.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
For the 2019 Ranger, the workshop manual only lists 1 location for other block heater element and installation does NOT require removal of the intake manifold

Parts are parts, makes no difference if I install them or the dealer. Cost is the same.

The dealer quoted me 3 hours of labor for the complete install.
Thanks for the significant correction. I was misinformed about the intake by the dealer service department.

Dsc

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew; 2007 Sport Trac XLT; 1969 Mustang Grande; 2014 HD Sportster 1200T
Occupation
Retired
FYI, Ford factory installs block heaters in all exported trucks to Canada. Many people don't even know it is there, since the cord gets tucked up and hidden. Not sure about their cars.

Dollar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL STX 4x4, Focus, Mustang, F150, MC's
Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Last edited:

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired

CarbonTremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor, 04 Jaguar XJR, 21 Bronco Sport
I was actually just going to start looking into adding the block heater as I might be moving to SD

OP
OP

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update...

today the heater element and wire as. arrived.

I was alarmed at how long the wire as. is - 8 to 10 ft. I called my dealer and suggested they contact one of their partner dealers in the north that may have a Ranger on their lot with a block heater, and to send photos of how the wire as. is routed from the factory. They could also contact Ford Tech Support for this information but at any rate, the tech isn't going to stumble his way through the installation and get the routing correct.

Another thing that surprised me was the rating on the heater element. 400 watts at 115 volts. This means the heater element would only draw 3.5 amps from a std household outlet. After giving it some thought, the heater element is only trying to heat 12 qts. of coolant. So I guess it is sized properly.

20211026_140406.jpg

20211026_140051.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: