Almost rear-ended a Tacoma yesterday

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Had my adaptive cruise set at 60 in a 55 and 3 bars on the distance sensor. It didn't stop... The truck just kept accelerating up on the Tacoma that was doing 55. Hit the brakes, turned CC off then back on, got some distance and tried again, same thing.

I checked the sensor when I got home and there's nothing on it and it's plugged in. No warning lights or CELs.

What the hell?
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
While I do love most of the tech onboard it does make me nervous trusting it because of situations like you just had. I know they are far and few between but it's still scary. I've only used mine once but didn't really like it. Glad it turned out ok but would like to know what happened?

Maybe that Taco had a jammer and was trying to get you to total his truck so he could go out and buy a new Ranger? ?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Had my adaptive cruise set at 60 in a 55 and 3 bars on the distance sensor. It didn't stop... The truck just kept accelerating up on the Tacoma that was doing 55. Hit the brakes, turned CC off then back on, got some distance and tried again, same thing.

I checked the sensor when I got home and there's nothing on it and it's plugged in. No warning lights or CELs.

What the hell?
You didnā€™t get a AEB warning either? I'd get it checked out.

Stupid question, you are sure you were in ACC and not standard CC?

OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You didnā€™t get a AEB warning either? I'd get it checked out.

Stupid question, you are sure you were in ACC and not standard CC?
No AEB. It seemed perfectly content to go right through the Taco.

I don't get an option for regular CC, it's all adaptive best I can tell on a loaded Lariat. Off to the dealer I go.

When I first bought the truck I had some snow/ice build up on the radar but it told me the system was out of operation so at least then I knew it wasn't going to work.

Mcssls

Try pushing in on the end of your turn signal stalk. Thatā€™s the on off for acc on all acc equipped. Guarantee you turned yours off. Itā€™s common

tentspast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Pushing the end of the turn signal stalk turns lane keep assistant off for me.
Has the ACC worked for you previously? I think the option to switch between regular or adaptive cruise control is buried in one of the menus on the driver display.

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer

What the hell?

Did you check your distance setting, maybe another driver set it closer then you were used to. I normally run with mine at max distance since my driving is mostly highway. Makes it easier to pass big rigs when you can see around them. :D

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Does the Lariat have ACC with Stop and Go?
Eg the XLT with Tech package only has ACC, and does not have the capability to stop and start (it disengages below ~20 mph).

It certainly surprised me the first time that I slammed on the brakes, because I thought ACC includes full stop. Maybe Lariat is different, but worth checking.

Reactions: Doc

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
provided you were in the right mode, did the taco show up as an active icon on the screen?
some cars simply don't get recognised for whatever reason.
I think that's it, the Ranger didn't recognize the Taco as a real vehicle.

Benworks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 501A Black Appearance Package
Was the Taco black by any chance? I have had this happen to me 3 times all in the same spot of road. All 3 times the cars were black...and all 3 times I was driving by a regional Airport. I have always wondered if there was radar interference from the Airport. But also why only black cars and only on this patch of road.

Reactions: EJH
OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in the information display is where you change from regular to adaptive cruise.

if you have the bars showing, then you are in adaptive. if its the traditional cruise symbol only then you are not.

provided you were in the right mode, did the taco show up as an active icon on the screen?
some cars simply don't get recognised for whatever reason.
do other cars show up?

and you said your truck "kept accelerating" ....that's a scary thought that there is more to this than be believe. it should be maintaining your speed, not trying to go faster. was that a truthful statement or just a feeling you got?

myself....I would go test it under slower speed roads and see whats happening, especially if you are taking it to the dealer. telling them stuff like it was accelerating will only confuse them and misdirect their troubleshooting.

1628590461699.png
I'll have to test it out. I've only ever used adaptive CC. There was nothing on the display. I said accelerating simply because I was expecting it to decelerate. It was going the same speed I set it to before braking.

Was the Taco black by any chance? I have had this happen to me 3 times all in the same spot of road. All 3 times the cars were black...and all 3 times I was driving by a regional Airport. I have always wondered if there was radar interference from the Airport. But also why only black cars and only on this patch of road.
Silver actually.

Also, my wife won't use cruise control. Ironically, she doesn't trust it...
Sponsored