First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT supercab ,2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
I decided to test what I already knew to be true, that modern engines with modern oils can go much longer between oil changes than engines of the past.

Many on this site and on most other forums still claim the Ford recommended 10K oil change interval is foolish. Being a hardcore gearhead and a former Ford mechanic, I know that oil technology and engine technology has made great strides in the last few decades, and I feel the 3-5K mile oil changes are a waste of money and an environmental irresponsibility in my view.

The tolerances of todays engines and the great efforts made in friction reduction, emission and fuel controls have payed great dividends in oil life. I've noticed that the oil in my modern Ford's is cleaner at 10,000 miles than the oil was in my 70's and 80's Fords at 1000 miles.

As the oil analysis report shows, everything is A-okay after a 9800 mile oil change interval. The report says that potassium is higher than would be expected, which could indicate coolant consumption (or nothing at all). I'll go with "nothing at all" at this point, given I haven't added an ounce of coolant in to 40,000 miles I've driven the truck and it still indicated full.

Let the flaming commence.
Sponsored

Attachments

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer

MrAnalog

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Looks good I don’t think anyone would be upset by that report. On my 3.5 expedition I thought about starting to go full synthetic and push to 10k from now on, sitting at 68k currently. I just feel weird about running that long on it knowing I want to keep the truck til it rusts away. Changing that motorcraft oil at 5000 or so just seems like cheap insurance to me.

I have a feeling in a few years we might see 15k or maybe even 20k intervals which seems insane.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Looks good I don’t think anyone would be upset by that report. On my 3.5 expedition I thought about starting to go full synthetic and push to 10k from now on, sitting at 68k currently. I just feel weird about running that long on it knowing I want to keep the truck til it rusts away. Changing that motorcraft oil at 5000 or so just seems like cheap insurance to me.

I have a feeling in a few years we might see 15k or maybe even 20k intervals which seems insane.
Big rigs are already pushing 25k and they're diesel.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
My warning came on at exactly one year, ~2000 miles
Mine did the same a few days ago just shy of 1 year. About 6500 miles since the last oil change.

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
I'm right there with you on trusting the OLM to 10k. What synthetic oil are you running?

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I don’t have a 2.3 - yet - but I do have an ecoboost 2.7. Maybe, MAYBE if I was back home in the north east and doing my normal home to work commute of 55 miles one way, on nice smooth county roads, I did 8500 oil change intervals…….maybe I would give 10k a try.
But where I am now, it’s rough roads, extremely high heat, desert wind with sand, lots of stop and go, aggressive driving - no f’ing way would I give 10k a try. I do 3 to 5 k now.

Your oil change interval should definitely be based on your environment and driving habits. IMO.

Plus I always use Motorcraft semi synthetic with the specified weight. I’m sure there’s better oils out there, but I’ve never had any issues with Ford’s brand from ConocoPhillips.

With that being said, there’s a guy with an early 2.7 F150 who’s pushing 500,000 miles with basically zero issues other than a water pump and a sensor. It’s documented on the F150 forum with a thread dedicated to the man’s exploits. Moral of the story, he does 10k oil change intervals, and he has the Ford quick lane do his oil changes, which is Motorcraft (from what’s said on that thread). So I dunno. I guess that points to his massive amounts of highway driving.

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
I'm also impressed with the extended oil change intervals of today's modern engines and oils , but I will still do mine at 5k. Because, turbo. In my locale, the brutal summer Fla heat and towing add additional stresses the vehicle's computer may not be factoring in. Changing the oil at more conservative intervals makes sense for my needs, and I don't view it as an environmentally wasteful as the oil is recycled.

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Operator
I got a call from my dealership last week saying we see that you’re putting quite a few kilometres on your truck since you bought it, it about time for your first oil change. My odo is at 11,482KM (kilometres!!!!), so only thing I can think of is because it’s the first one and maybe they want to see if the motor is giving itself a hot super? To see if I have voided warranty and they can get out of it? To try and get me to void the warranty by not doing the oil changes? Also how did they know my km’s? I know the truck talks to the mothership but is that sent to the dealer somehow????? Also Ford pass says estimated oil change in July, with 4600km (31%) oil life left, so why’s the dealer telling me I should have it done? Because I put all but 136km on since December 14/2020???

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
you're over thinking that call.
they are looking to get your business, they want your money for an oil change. no more, no less.
yep, I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I traded over five years ago and the Jeep dealer still sends me oil change reminders!
Sponsored