No, thanks.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
Not worth it to me unless its gets 40+ MPG in the city. Even then would probably wait a few years to let them perfect the system.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Some impressive numbers though. I wouldn't buy the first run but would be interested in a year or two after they're out.

he plug-in hybrid system hasn't been used before on a production model and is rumored to combine a turbocharged 2.3-liter gasoline engine with an electric motor. Weā€™re hearing it will offer 362 horsepower (270 kilowatts) and a meaty 680 Newton-meters (502 pound-feet) of torque.

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
Those numbers look great! Especially if they add the generator function from the F150. I wish this was already on the market, but Iā€™d wait a few years for them to iron the bugs out.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
If it comes with the Powerboost "generator mode" option that the new F-150 has, then I'm all over this! Not only would it be a wonderfully capable truck with all that torque, but I could get amazing mileage (possibly even use only electric during my work commute depending on the range) and power our camper/campsite if need be while off-grid/dispersed/boondocking/whatever you want to call it.
I agree absolutely. The torque is to die for, the mileage would be significantly improved, and a Powerboost generator like those now available on F150s would help out in a lot of situations, as some of our friends in Texas just discovered when their houses went dark and cold.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
2023?

Thatā€™s way too soon for me - I still havenā€™t discovered all the features on my 2019. I always said I would likely trade for some sort of EV version but like Dave (@AzScorpion) said, not the first run. Besides, Iā€™m having a blast with this truck and I want to get the most out of it before moving on. Seriously, what kind of mods can I make to my VW sedan? You can only do so much with purple under rocker panel lighting and itā€™s not like people would come up to me and say, ā€œHey, is that the new Passat and whereā€™d you get those cool lights?ā€

Iā€™m with Matt (@the1mrb) and Marc (@RANGER_MARC) on the 2023 having/needing the generator - thatā€™s a great feature!

Last edited:

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
No Thanks ... terrible paint job ... :question: ... radar absorbing ... :question: ... Climate Neutralizer ...:question:

1911tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru/2020 Ranger
Speaking of electric cars, my son has a new Tesla...top of the line. It has been dead in the water for the past 7 days as Texas, in particular Austin where he lives has been without electricity.

E Monty

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Ranger XLT/ā€˜03 Excursion
Occupation
Sheet Metal Worker
Maybe my opinion will change but something about an electric car/truck doesnt do it for me. The mileage and numbers are impressive but I donā€™t buy into it yet.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
I'd be interested in driving one and looking at the evolution of features, not interested in 1st year customer beta-testing though.

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
That's why I want to have at least one gas dependant vehicle (like this PHEV Ranger) until we get our butt in gear and invest in updating the electric grid.
Logically, this is just so far off IMO. I hope I'm wrong but I can not see any way around this enormous issue besides taxing the living (literally) out of our citizens. Hybrids that can charge while running are one thing and they're great at accomplishing their job. Having a plug-in charging system available for use costs $25,000 - $100,000 or more depending on the type and labor, and that's just for one port! What is everyone that lives in an apartment supposed to do? My experience with apartments is that parking itself is scarce, let alone being able to park and charge at a port. Unless government steps in and starts offering enormous subsidies to build a charging port at every space of these places there is no way a plug-in future is viable.

That being said I am fortunate enough to be able to take advantage of a PHEV Ranger and would trade mine in immediately for a Powerboost model.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I think it's great. The PHEV will have 2 real world years of function in the F-150 the same way the 2.3 and 10 speed had lots of real world miles in the Mustang. The F-150 gained 6 mpg city and 1 mpg hwy and TFL (I think it was them?)actually crushed the HWY number (30 mpg) on their loop, all be it not scientific. Give me all the benefits of the having the extra power (both at my foot and in the bed) and the economy, I too would trade in my truck much sooner than I planned. I was planning on around 2028...??

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Having a plug-in charging system available for use costs $25,000 - $100,000 or more...
What on earth are you smoking? Chargers cost $100-$1000 and even in the worst situation it shouldn't cost more than $1000 to add 240v power to a garage if one doesn't have it already.
Sponsored