Very first next-gen 2023 Ford Ranger prototype!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I think that in regard to size some of you are missing the rumored Bronco truck. If that comes out in 2 doors it'll be my next truck. Could fit in between a bloated Ranger and Maverick size wise.
Sponsored

Swishpapasweets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT,1998 Ford Ranger XLT
Idk I'll probably be sticking with my current ranger. Hated the c lights on the older f150s and from the looks of it I'll hate the new rangers lights to though if the cab doesn't change much then a swap could be done

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I think the problem with that would be that the Bronco, Ranger, and Bronco truck would all sit on the same platform, so not sure how different in overall size they could be. In my opinion a Bronco truck is a bad idea for Ford anyways. It'd be akin to a Gladiator, which is a very niche product (if you use it for what it's intended) and would likely cannibalize Ranger sales than anything else. Most people who buy the Gladiator buy it because it's a Jeep. I doubt there's very much cross shopping between the mid-size market for them. Even if there was a Bronco variant like it, most people in the market for something like that would probably still go Jeep because they're already Jeep people I think.
In my very limited business opinion it'd be better to make a "hardcore" off-road trim for the Ranger. Something like the Raptor, or a Warthog, or a Wildtrak, or whatever the want to call it. Like in the vain of the Colorado ZR2 Bison. You'd keep Ranger sales, not need another set of tooling for a completely separate vehicle, and be able to tie a lot more things together.

Just my opinions.
A Bronco truck does seem to be in the works, regardless. IF offered in 2 drs I could see it NOT taking Ranger sales. But who knows.

That be said I think it's a foredrawn conclusion that we will get RRaptor here in the states.

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK
Depends who you ask. Might be a similar case to what was originally going to be the 2020 Ford Bronco, which will now be a 2021.5 Bronco. (aka the original target was probably 2022, but might end up getting pushed to 2023 for various reasons). I think once we hear something official from Ford then we'll know.
I am more than likely purchasing a 2020 this weekend if I knew for sure the new model would come out in 22 I may wait but I would bet its 23 like you stated..

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine
Is this going to be the new global Ranger? If so don't count on it being bigger; it wouldn't sell in many markets then (where it competes with Toyota Hilux). I personally don't want some bloated F150 wannabe.

Where Ford could tap F150 and hit a home run is by knocking 500 pounds off the Ranger by building it in aluminum, using the techniques developed for the F150. No class action lawsuits needed then, since it would trounce the competition on fuel economy and performance.

I see a real place for a smaller, albeit real truck. Just optimize for a market that wants smaller, nimbler, sporty and less thirsty. A Ranger/Bronco 1-2 punch with real punch. But for now I'm pretty happy with the Ranger we finally have. I compared to the others, admired the handling and packages on the Chevy, but still chose the Ranger. I disagree with those who say it lacks character. That turbo gives it character. Really, only the Frontier has character, and there only because it is so ancient I feel genuine nostalgia just looking at the thing (the new one looks hideous). Whatever Ford does let's hope they get the panel fitments right, and maybe spray on a bit more paint, more evenly.
I agree. The current ranger weighs almost as much as the current F-150:

1610544951334.png

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
I posted this over on BON and I'll post the same thing here:

I think it's a powertrain / cooling mule using the existing Ranger body with the next-gen front clip (or at least fascia / grill).

Look at the greenhouse. The way the dogleg on the rear side window gradually slopes upward is from the current Ranger. On the next-gen render, it is a sharp angled dogleg.

Current Ranger:
2at12_48_08PM.png.9d8a9a4d1e7b76c37023744b2566ca31.png

Ranger Render:

2at12_47_41PM.png.459b1849e5f60214975f0d6ddf70025f.png

Prototype / Mule:
2at12_48_53PM.png.2a19624399c44fd62c0b93d87b81e1f2.png

That camo'ed body really looks to be the current Ranger. Gotta be a powertrain / cooling mule.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I think the problem with that would be that the Bronco, Ranger, and Bronco truck would all sit on the same platform, so not sure how different in overall size they could be.
More importantly, if you're determined to shove a turbo v6 under the hood there's a minimum width up front that will be forced on all the variants, even for people who think the 2.3 has more than enough power for the application. This is one of the differences between the global model (designed around inline 4 & 5 engines) and what ford seems to think is necessary for north america.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I guess all I've seen are the rumors from a year or so ago for a Bronco Truck. If it's true, then I retract some of my original statement. haha And if it is going to be a true 2-door, then I retract a bit more of my statement.

I'm not sure it'll be available in 2-door, given the way the rest of the market is going. But that actually makes it a better choice to do it since they'd be the only one with that option.
I can hope for a 2 door open air offroad truck all day, but I doubt it will happen as well.

From the looks of it Ford is trying to make Bronco it's own brand, Mustang as well, with multiple models. So who knows what could happen. Throw in all the pandemic delays and some things that might have been on the table 6 months ago could be dead by now.
Either way, I'll agree that Ranger Raptor is more than likely coming. But they could add Warthog and/or Wildtrak trims as well, to specialize in different off-road conditions. Since the Raptor is a high speed desert runner, and I believe Warthog is being used as a slow speed technical off-roader on the Bronco line.
I feel like while the Raptor DNA was originally prerunner-esque, it's been mostly used as an all around high performance off road truck. Like a track star that also happens to be really good at football and basketball.

In general I feel like there are already way too many trim levels and packages in the auto industry. For example the Bronco has 7 trim levels when 3 would easily suffice. But the trend is headed your direction and I could see different performance models offered. At least in a tiered level.

From the useless knowledge I gained scouring the Bronco forums for the six months I had a reservation the Warthog (stupid name, should've called it the BRaptor) is simply going to be a "Raptored" Bronco. Not necessarily a "crawler" per se. If that's what they're going for they forgot the solid axle. I honestly think the Warthog will be 4 door only which also takes away from it's crawling ability.
I posted this over on BON and I'll post the same thing here:

I think it's a powertrain / cooling mule using the existing Ranger body with the next-gen front clip (or at least fascia / grill).

Look at the greenhouse. The way the dogleg on the rear side window gradually slopes upward is from the current Ranger. On the next-gen render, it is a sharp angled dogleg.

Current Ranger:
2at12_48_08PM.png.9d8a9a4d1e7b76c37023744b2566ca31.png

Ranger Render:

2at12_47_41PM.png.459b1849e5f60214975f0d6ddf70025f.png

Prototype / Mule:
2at12_48_53PM.png.2a19624399c44fd62c0b93d87b81e1f2.png

That camo'ed body really looks to be the current Ranger. Gotta be a powertrain / cooling mule.
I understand the usage of test mules.

But what would be the purpose of building a mule of the 5G Ranger, and then attaching the 6G front clip to it, and then cladding it in camo? If it's only for cooling purposes the camo would affect it enough to make an equivalent surface area work just as well.

Also, powertrain mule in a 5G seems unlikely since it'll probably be carryover with hopefully other established powertrains.

I think it's more likely that the rendering is off. As they always are.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Yeah, since the Bronco, and more than likely the Bronco truck (if it comes to pass), can fit the V6, then by your logic (which I can get behind) nothing will really be able to be much smaller or different in size than that. Including the Ranger if it gets the 2.7.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I think: they might get longer or even wider, but I think the sheet metal at the front of the bronco is about as narrow as they get going forward. (So 2.5" or so at the widest, and a lot more at the narrowest. Hard to tell from pictures but over 6 inches, maybe a foot at the top of the front corners?)

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
My question is: "What changes have there been to the drivetrain?"

The reason I ask is that you usually only see exhaust like that when they are doing drivetrain testing due to changes, updated drivetrain, new drivetrain, etc. Those pipes allow easy attachment of instruments, etc. The current drivetrain is already certified, so what are they changing? New tuning, new emissions equipment, maybe a 2.7 Ecoboost V6, maybe a hybrid drivetrain? Interesting to see that...

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
My question is: "What changes have there been to the drivetrain?"

The reason I ask is that you usually only see exhaust like that when they are doing drivetrain testing due to changes, updated drivetrain, new drivetrain, etc. Those pipes allow easy attachment of instruments, etc. The current drivetrain is already certified, so what are they changing? New tuning, new emissions equipment, maybe a 2.7 Ecoboost V6, maybe a hybrid drivetrain? Interesting to see that...
Automotive articles from last May timeframe say a plug-in hybrid is planned for this next generation Ranger.

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
I think the reason the 5g came out with so little at the beginning, and added as the years have gone on, was because it was essentially a rush place holder generation for North America with the intent of getting something fresh and new in a few years. Ford realized they screwed up taking it away in the first place, and needed to get back into the game quickly. So they just American-ized an existing generation to get their foot in the door before it fully closed on them.

I think the fact that the Tremor package is now across the whole truck lineup (Ranger, F-150, and Superduty) means it'll be around for awhile. And that it was a full Ford Trucks decision, not just a Ranger one. Plus the new F-150 is coming out of the gate in it's first year with a Tremor package, and that also has a Raptor trim. I would agree that having an FX4, Tremor, and Raptor trims/packages seems to saturate the off-road options though in my opinion.

I think they added some different options to it afterwards once they saw that it was actually selling pretty good. Moved up to 2nd place in only a couple years of existence. So might as well put some money into it to get more out.

Also, I'd hope they roll it out better than the Bronco launch because that has been wrought with issues and delays for years. But we shouldn't get into that here.
I 100% agree with pretty much everything you just stated. Can you imagine if Ford brought the 5th gen Ranger to the NA market back when it hit the other global markets? With the Tacoma not getting an update until ā€˜16, the Ranger would have definitely shook up the midsize market. So foolish of Ford to not offer the 5th gen Ranger sooner!!!

While the Tacoma is a nice truck I donā€™t understand why is has remained so dominant? The seating position alone is horrible and the crew cab feels far more cramped than a Ranger SuperCrew. I think the 5th gen Ranger beats it in almost every category except for the available options (no crewcab/longbed, no sunroof, etc...). Now with a Tremor package coming, it has a chance in competing with the TRD-Pro.

Iā€™m definitely holding out for the 6th gen Ranger with the hopes of a SuperCrew/longbed? If so, Iā€™d be all over a Lariat with Tremor package too.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I agree. The current ranger weighs almost as much as the current F-150:

1610544951334.png
With the price of the current gen bloating, I too wish they'd use aluminum. I read somewhere that the Bronco is using an all new high strength steel ( thinner/lighter ) to save weight, so I think Ford will likely go that route. It's a great concept. Thinner, lighter and yet stronger. But to me, thinner means faster rust through so unless it has some sort of advanced corrosion resistance thinner high strength steel is a farce. I really like my Ranger, but the paint quality is terrible. I love to take the first really nice spring day and detail my vehicle. Except with this thing it means a day of touching up rock chips from the anti skid the past winter.
Sponsored