Last edited:

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
Consumer reports would be great if we have another tp shortage, that’s about it.

I would take a Aztec over a gladiator...

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Matadors were gorgeous! the Marlin not so much.
1967 AMC Marlin.
1965RamblerMarlin_01_700.jpg

1974 Matador X Coupe
m1-1-e1450356244482.jpg
In 1974 the best looking car was still the 1968 Mustang Fastback GT?

1610250980975.png

Kevreh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat RWD
I pity the fool who buys something besides the Ranger because of a backup camera issue, according to those CR pages above. What car now days doesn’t have an issue at some time? I had to spend $4500 to put a new transmission in my ‘05 Frontier due to a design defect. THATS a reason to avoid a car.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The AMC Pacer would like a word with you.
3bf8df8633453648ea11e8d2986296ee.jpg
I have to agree, however I love seeing these weird cars on the rare occasion I do see them. I like unusual, unique cars.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Another example that Consumer Reports is not reliable.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I pity the fool who buys something besides the Ranger because of a backup camera issue, according to those CR pages above. What car now days doesn’t have an issue at some time? I had to spend $4500 to put a new transmission in my ‘05 Frontier due to a design defect. THATS a reason to avoid a car.
I would have to believe it has more to do with the overall ranking of vehicle issues in the past couple of years as reported by owners in the survey than the camera issue alone. The Ranger received marks just slightly above the GM products, I think that should be embarrassing for Ford but like many on here I too don't put much if any stock in CR, I would tend to believe the folks who do aren't very knowledgeable as it pertains to evaluating automobiles.

But if we see a big surge in Gladiator sales then maybe CR stills has a lot of believers and I'll have to eat a copy of the publication.

I completely gave up on CR when some yrs back they choose Subaru Legacy as the car of the year

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
F150, Ranger, Super Duty, Edge, Escape, Expedition, and Explorer recalled because backup cameras occasionally go blank or distorted image increasing risk of crash.

2021 Compact Pickups Grades are rated higher the number, more reliable: Jeep Gladiator 99; Honda Ridgeline 62; Toyota Tacoma 58; Ford Ranger 29; Chevrolet Colorado 26, GMC Canyon 26.

All based on 1-3 year old models in each of 17 key areas over the previous 12 months...feedback from vehicle owners.
F150, Ranger, Super Duty, Edge, Escape, Expedition, and Explorer recalled because backup cameras occasionally go blank or distorted image increasing risk of crash.

2021 Compact Pickups Grades are rated higher the number, more reliable: Jeep Gladiator 99; Honda Ridgeline 62; Toyota Tacoma 58; Ford Ranger 29; Chevrolet Colorado 26, GMC Canyon 26.

All based on 1-3 year old models in each of 17 key areas over the previous 12 months...feedback from vehicle owners.
Thanks for the update. I just checked with my Dealer and also for Ford Recalls at Check For Ford® Recalls And Field Service Actions | Official Ford Owner Site and the result was No Recalls or Field Service Actions found. The only confirmed recall so far for my 2020 was an Owner Manual Addendum for Automatic Engine Shutdown which I have received.

I have subscribed to Consumer Reports for years and have found them to be primarily dependable in their reporting, but like any other organization they are human entities and can make mistakes.

I used the Consumer Reports Car Buying Service and through the negotiation was able to purchase my Truck with 9.5% off the actual MSRP before Tax, Title and license were added. This discount came to $3078.00.

Regards, Paul

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
CR back before the Internet had some major clout. Every business on the planet was looking for a gold star from them. Then things changed, and not for the good of the consumer. The mafia comment earlier in this thread eludes to that somewhat. CR to me is like Snopes, swallow it if you must but I bet it will be bitter all the same.

When I make decisions today they of all sources do not come to mind at all in that weighing process. I’ll do my own research and make an assessed determinations balancing between need and wants.

Then check my score by coming to places like this with others that think likeminded

Deleted member 1634

When I make decisions today they of all sources do not come to mind at all in that weighing process. I’ll do my own research and make an assessed determinations balancing between need and wants.
Exactly. No ones opinions or scores matter more to me than my own. Second would be my wife, third my dad and brother, and so on. Consumer Reports and other paid reviewers rank very far down the list. They're not me, they don't know what I want/need or don't. So how can I expect them to tell me what is best for me.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Exactly. No ones opinions or scores matter more to me than my own. Second would be my wife, third my dad and brother, and so on. Consumer Reports and other paid reviewers rank very far down the list. They're not me, they don't know what I want/need or don't. So how can I expect them to tell me what is best for me.
Exactly