SOLVED: Coolant Leak from the Heater Core, Replaced Under Warranty

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
Oh, Nooooooooo! I think you may have won that award. And supposedly there is no dipstick to check the fluid level on these trannys.

ETA: Can you determine where the leak is coming from?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Did I win the distinguished award for the first Ranger to have mechanical problems? I walked out into the garage this afternoon and she's leaking transmission fluid. 53 miles.

20190126_183345.jpg
20190126_183547.jpg
ARRRRGGHH!!! :facepalm:So Sorry that happened. :fingerscrossed:I hope they just have to snug up the pan.
But at any rate I hope they will take it right in and get you back on the road ASAP.
Maybe they'll give you extra time on Sirius Radio (if equipped) or a free oil change...
Like the Ice cream coupon from the dentist!:giggle:

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Did I win the distinguished award for the first Ranger to have mechanical problems? I walked out into the garage this afternoon and she's leaking transmission fluid. 53 miles.

20190126_183345.jpg
20190126_183547.jpg
Oh, no....

OP
OP
uthunter

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
There's a small machined hole (I can feel it with my finger) on the aluminum part of the transmission flange right next to the bolt you can see with the drip coming off of it. This is towards the rear of the pan next to the transfer case. (The drive shaft you can see in the pic is the front drive shaft coming off the transfer case.)

It's coming out of that hole next to the transmission pan bolt. After cleaning it up, it looks and smells more like coolant... but that's a long way from any coolant lines. I don't know what to think.

My great grandpa started the dealership and I grew up detailing cars when I was younger so I've known some of the people there most of my life. They'll take great care of me. Just bad luck.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Well, that just sucks !! Hope it is a good quick and permanent fix. Keep us updated :thumbsup:

OP
OP
uthunter

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^^ It's coming out of an upward facing hole (unseen from below) immediately forward of this bolt; the one holding the rear of the transmission pan to the transmission.
20190126_212700.jpg

If you feel under the truck just next to topside of this bolt, you'll feel the machined hole.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
@uthunter judging by this video, it appears the gasket just isn't seated properly. They probably will just replace the gasket and fill her back up with fluids.

Timecoded at 1:15, you can see the gasket and the hole after he pulls it off.

OP
OP
uthunter

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@j0shm1lls

That is the right spot. As long as its ATF, and not coolant, it should be an easy fix. My biggest concern is the viscosity and the color looked more like coolant than ATF.

I just hope coolant isn't somehow working its way into the transmission or tracing its away along the gasket and out that hole.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Appears to be coolant as ATF would puddle and coolant would just drip and run with the slant of the floor which this did. With the production of plastic parts and the use of sealant rather than rubber gaskets in modern cooling systems is just plain cheap if you ask me but that's their way of cheaper and faster production these days.
Being this truck is so new, the technician will most likely be taking pictures after figuring it out, and sending that to Ford engineers to forward that onto production. My opinion this is a minor inconvenience.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Appears to be coolant as ATF would puddle and coolant would just drip and run with the slant of the floor which this did. With the production of plastic parts and the use of sealant rather than rubber gaskets in modern cooling systems is just plain cheap if you ask me but that's their way of cheaper and faster production these days.
Being this truck is so new, the technician will most likely be taking pictures after figuring it out, and sending that to Ford engineers to forward that onto production. My opinion this is a minor inconvenience.
Are you sure its antifreeze? Touch the fluid, then touch your tongue, you will know for sure.

I don't see how COOLANT could drip out of the Transmission??? Unless the transcooler inside the radiator is leaking into the fluid lines to the tranny. That could be VERY serious.
Check the radiator for oil while you are at it!

Hopefully... and probably...
Check for coolant coming from the engine then running over the outside of trans case... Maybe just a loose hose clamp on a heater hose or something! check your carpet for antifreeze leaking inside the cab then finding its way through the floor then subsequently dripping on your transmission. Look at the cab floor from underneath above the transmission.
Don't drive it until you KNOW FOR SURE.

Last edited:
OP
OP
uthunter

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you going to risk further damage by driving it in or have them pick it up with a flatbed truck?
I texted pics to the dealer last night. He offered to meet me at the dealership today but I told him I want a flatbed on Monday so I don't have to drive it.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I texted pics to the dealer last night. He offered to meet me at the dealership today but I told him I want a flatbed on Monday so I don't have to drive it.
The Ranger comes with free roadside assistance so either way you won’t have to pay anything. You should be able to organize a tow in the Ford Pass app.
Sponsored