Would I be okay towing this RV?

Pete Warfield

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SX4
Yah that’s not gonna work(150mile refuel) I contacted an Australian company about their fuel tanks , I’ll post their reply when it comes. My guess is if a lot of people inquire about it , a company here in the Good ‘ole USA will get around to it.
Sponsored

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
If I was in your shoes, I would be looking for a truck that's nicknamed a "Tow Pig" if you're going to be travel with that trailer often and long distances. A long wheelbase, 3/4 or 1 ton pick would not bat an eye at that trailer and would be safer in my opinion.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Yah that’s not gonna work(150mile refuel) I contacted an Australian company about their fuel tanks , I’ll post their reply when it comes. My guess is if a lot of people inquire about it , a company here in the Good ‘ole USA will get around to it.
Yeah, I mean, even if I'm still only towing my 1400lb teardrop and getting 20+mpg doing it, I'd still dig a bigger gas tank so I don't have to stop as often.

About a decade ago, I was doing frequent ~14hr road trips, so I got to experiment a lot. If I drove 5mph faster (on average), my fuel economy would drop enough that I'd then have to add another fuel stop, which would then result in the overall trip taking longer. I ended up settling on driving about 5mph under the speed limit, which allowed me to subtract a fuel stop, allowing the trip to take less time overall.

There's only so far I could take that, of course. When you're driving for that much time, you have inevitable bio stops and food stops. I draw the line at peeing in a bottle. But that period of time really gave me interesting perspectives on fuel economy, range, and fuel stop frequency.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
We had looked at larger heavier trailers before settling on our 21ft single axle. 3400 dry, 4000 a bit over 50% towing capacity loaded.
Our Ranger yanks it around no problem, accelerating uphill on steep grades like a bat out of hell getting 13.7 avg towing so far.
Hitting the mountains next Monday for a week and will see how the mileage does with no real highway driving.

20200618_122518~2.jpg
Nice Camper, looks to be the perfect size

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Companies make in bed auxiliary fuel tanks. Transfer flow is one brand I can think of, I think they even make larger replacement tanks. A web search is your friend. A shop that makes beds for chassis cab pickups, should be able to fab one up or modify an existing tank model to fit in the Rangers bed. Auxiliary tanks plumb into the fuel system so it's usually a matter of flipping a switch to use it.

BeachRanger19

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab Ingot Silver
Nice Camper, looks to be the perfect size
Thanks, its a Springdale 1750RD and its affordable at around 16k
Front queen, bathroom, fridge, stove, microwave. Entire rear is U dinette/second queen all glass big views

20200502_123109~2.jpg

20200512_125742.jpg

20200512_124952.jpg

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
That is a lot of trailer lol. Keep it at a safe speed. Pretty sure owners manual states max towing speed of like 55-65. Keep a lot of distance for emergency's (and don't become one) towing that length. I wonder if running a cap on the bed would help with the frontal considerations. Hmmm.

You can lock out gears with your transmission if you aren't aware. It is really simple and I imagine locking out 9th and 10th will be helpful at times.

BeachRanger19

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab Ingot Silver
Well we pulled the trigger on the 33' trailer. Here is it hooked up to the truck. They had to put a 9" drop on it to set it up right.

IMG_20200703_110305.jpg
IMG_20200703_105420.jpg
That's one big fella, tow safe and enjoy your travels ?

Metalmagic

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt
Occupation
pipe welder. Parts maker on the side
Yikes that’s a lot of trailer for a mid size. I would be worried about cross wind. Remember you have a short wheelbase truck that is 4000lbs empty towing a 32’ trailer that weighs 1000-1500lbs more dry. In my experience (in no way am I a professional) stick with something shorter.

OP
OP
Schnellfeuer

Schnellfeuer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XL SuperCrew 4x4
Yikes that’s a lot of trailer for a mid size. I would be worried about cross wind. Remember you have a short wheelbase truck that is 4000lbs empty towing a 32’ trailer that weighs 1000-1500lbs more dry. In my experience (in no way am I a professional) stick with something shorter.
I'll update how it goes when I pull it. The box is 29' long the total length with the connected is 33'

Metalmagic

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt
Occupation
pipe welder. Parts maker on the side
I'll update how it goes when I pull it. The box is 29' long the total length with the connected is 33'
yes please. I’m looking to get a travel trailer too and a lot of 27 and 28 footers have come on my radar. I’m never concerned about weight, more concerned about windload. But I’ve heard from a lot of people trucks Are different now

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Well we pulled the trigger on the 33' trailer. Here is it hooked up to the truck. They had to put a 9" drop on it to set it up right.

IMG_20200703_110305.jpg
IMG_20200703_105420.jpg
There was a similar post a few months back and I mentioned needing a lower drop shank to get the truck ball height in line with the trailer coupler height to get the hitch weight distributed properly. It made a huge difference on my set up. I am towing a very similar dimension TT, my box is 27', but the other specs are nearly identical. I am estimating 6,000-6,300lbs as loaded. When I'm parked on level ground loaded for a trip, my trailer tongue is perfectly level. It should be at least level or slightly running down hill towards the truck. My RV dealer sold me 1,000/10,000lb weight distribution bars. I think 800/8,000 lb would have my set up fine tuned perfectly. The engine and transmission pull the TT surprisingly with little effort and I'm towing up some longer steep grades holding 55-58 mph in 4th gear @ 4,300 rpm. On a calm day I can tow 60 mph ( have no need to go faster) with no issues stable as can be. The Rangers shorter wheelbase is apparent when you get a windy day with gusty crosswinds. If you take your time and use common sense, the 6,000-6,500lb TT is not an issue. By comparison towing the same TT with my previous 2016 F-150 before I got the hitch setup fine tuned, it was less stable and swayed a lot more. That speaks volumes for proper hitch set up regardless of truck size.
Sponsored