Size Compared to the Tacoma

TerryG

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
I checked out a Tacoma the other day and was surprised at how small the cab is for the driver and front passenger. For those who have tried on the Ranger, how's the cab size compared to the Tacoma?
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I checked out a Tacoma the other day and was surprised at how small the cab is for the driver and front passenger. For those who have tried on the Ranger, how's the cab size compared to the Tacoma?
Interesting - I've also checked out the Tacoma and found the cab to be pretty roomy. My big issue with it was that it felt kind of underpowered. After reading some online postings it sounds like it has to do with the tuning Toyota did to get the mileage. I've not sat in a new Ranger yet so can't comment on how big it seems.

OP
OP

TerryG

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
Interesting - I've also checked out the Tacoma and found the cab to be pretty roomy. My big issue with it was that it felt kind of underpowered. After reading some online postings it sounds like it has to do with the tuning Toyota did to get the mileage. I've not sat in a new Ranger yet so can't comment on how big it seems.

Thanks for the reply...

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
I have heard from others that the Ranger has more headroom and a few extra inches in back compared to the Tacoma as well as the ability to adjust seat height, which the Tacoma doesn't do.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I have heard from others that the Ranger has more headroom and a few extra inches in back compared to the Tacoma as well as the ability to adjust seat height, which the Tacoma doesn't do.
Ranger rear legroom 34.5" versus Toyota Tacoma rear legroom 32.6", both in double cab configurations.

Not only does Ranger have height adjustable seats, unlike the Tacoma, it has POWER adjustable front driver/passenger seats so you can really dial in the settings you want.

$45k+ Tacoma TRD PRO has manually adjustable front driver/passenger seats in 2019!!! :cwl:

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Ranger rear legroom 34.5" versus Toyota Tacoma rear legroom 32.6", both in double cab configurations.

Not only does Ranger have height adjustable seats, unlike the Tacoma, it has POWER adjustable front driver/passenger seats so you can really dial in the settings you want.

$45k+ Tacoma TRD PRO has manually adjustable front driver/passenger seats in 2019!!! :cwl:
Plus the Tacoma has drum brakes in the back. I didn't even know that was a thing anymore. The only thing that it does have that I wish all trucks had is a manual transmission option. I miss my electric blue Dakota Sport regular cab with the stick.

OP
OP

TerryG

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
When I sat in the Tacoma, it reminded me of my wife's Carolla, which I absolutely hate with regards to leg room. I'm 6'-2" and after sitting in the Tacoma for 20 minutes, I thought my hips were going to dislocate. I also noticed it was lacking in elbow room. Honestly, the RAV4 has more room. So, if the Ranger is on the order of the Tacoma, then I'll probably need to look at the F150 and Tundra.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When I sat in the Tacoma, it reminded me of my wife's Carolla, which I absolutely hate with regards to leg room. I'm 6'-2" and after sitting in the Tacoma for 20 minutes, I thought my hips were going to dislocate. I also noticed it was lacking in elbow room. Honestly, the RAV4 has more room. So, if the Ranger is on the order of the Tacoma, then I'll probably need to look at the F150 and Tundra.
Although I haven't sat in one, from what I've seen the Ranger is more comfortable than the Tacoma. I'm anxiously awaiting a Ranger at any local dealer so I can see it in person and test drive it.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
The problem with the seating position in the Toyota, for me anyway, was the low seating position that kept my knees up while putting pressure on my tail bone. No way to raise the seat and even if you could there wasn't much headroom so doing a seat mod by raising the seat might not have worked.

The strange thing is that the ROW Tacoma, the Revo has seats that can manually raise quite a bit AND lots of headroom.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Plus the Tacoma has drum brakes in the back. I didn't even know that was a thing anymore. The only thing that it does have that I wish all trucks had is a manual transmission option. I miss my electric blue Dakota Sport regular cab with the stick.
Tacoma's resoning behind the drums brakes is so sand and debris doesn't effect the use of the crawl control when you burry the back end. and that the drums brakes didn't have much of a difference compared to discs.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Although I haven't sat in one, from what I've seen the Ranger is more comfortable than the Tacoma. I'm anxiously awaiting a Ranger at any local dealer so I can see it in person and test drive it.
having a TDR. I can definitely say the Ranger is more comfortable to be in. The seats are softer, more support, more adj usability. But that's the way Toyota always made their seats in the Tacoma's. It's more of a bench style seat.

BlakeRom

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma
My Tacoma averages 15mpg. Toyota refuses to retune their trucks but have sent out surveys to gauge responses. The transmission is garbage. The engine is ok but at 15mpg I get better mileage in my high revving v8! Hypermiling I can get 17mpg...all hwy use driving from Tennessee to Washington towards the end of the trip I started averaging 19-22mpg(hypermiling).

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My Tacoma averages 15mpg. Toyota refuses to retune their trucks but have sent out surveys to gauge responses. The transmission is garbage. The engine is ok but at 15mpg I get better mileage in my high revving v8! Hypermiling I can get 17mpg...all hwy use driving from Tennessee to Washington towards the end of the trip I started averaging 19-22mpg(hypermiling).
I was really leaning towards buying a Tacoma until I drove it. The 6' bed option was a key thing for me, plus some of the other niceties (soft open tailgate, wireless cell phone charging, potentially better storage under/behind rear seat, 110v power in the bed, no need for a liner, electric rear slider, Toyota care - they do all scheduled maintenance for 2 years/24k miles). The engine/transmission totally turned me off. It was a very odd driving experience - it felt WAY underpowered. After doing a bunch of reading on Tacoma forums, it is a VERY common complaint in the gen 3 models. There is a software tuner kit you can buy for about $800 which seems to make it substantially better, but I didn't really want to have to do that on a new vehicle. I've pretty much decided I'm going with the Ranger. I'm hoping to do my order in the next week or two. I'm still hoping I can actually drive one before I pre-order, but I'm feeling better about doing it whether or not I can drive one.

Your mileage seems to confirm my feelings - My 2005 Ranger gets about 18 no matter what I do - unless I do straight highway and I can get maybe 20. I was really looking to improve that and the new Ranger almost surely will make a big improvement.

Sorry for the rambling comments....I enjoy hearing others experiences.

WXman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I test drove a 2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad with four doors. The driver seat position wasn't horrible but wasn't great either. Feels more car like than truck like. The big turnoff was the rear seating. HORRIBLE head room back there. Just a really small truck. And that new V6 they are using is atrocious. No power, and when it did try to rev and make power it surged and wasn't linear and smooth at all. Drum brakes? Plastic bed? A history of frames falling in half, engines losing head gaskets, and exhaust manifolds developing holes just out of warranty? No thanks. How do they keep selling so many of those?

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
I test drove a 2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad with four doors. The driver seat position wasn't horrible but wasn't great either. Feels more car like than truck like. The big turnoff was the rear seating. HORRIBLE head room back there. Just a really small truck. And that new V6 they are using is atrocious. No power, and when it did try to rev and make power it surged and wasn't linear and smooth at all. Drum brakes? Plastic bed? A history of frames falling in half, engines losing head gaskets, and exhaust manifolds developing holes just out of warranty? No thanks. How do they keep selling so many of those?
People just think that because it is a Toyota that somehow it is the best product out there. This is despite Consumer Reviews putting multiple Toyotas on do not buy lists, the highest recall percentage in the industry and a history of trying to cover up defects. When I had my 2010 Prius, I had to get a recall done every time I got an oil change. It was ridiculous. Airbags, brakes, hybrid inverter, paint undercoat was defective, etc. Worst car I've ever owned.
Sponsored