New Ford Ranger grille shape revealed

Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
The new Ford Ranger's grille has been revealed. These photos were sent to Jalopnik from someone who works at a shop molding and painting the new Ranger's grille bezels.

ybizkv0xsg1t06tq7igt.png

fnao0rq49nphtmaji5px.png

While this alleged new Ranger bezel appears to keep the same general design as the global Ranger, there are some significant differences.

While both grilles have the same essential elongated hexagonal shape, the new Ranger grille seems to add some tiny lower sides to become more of an elongated octagon, and the bezel is much thinner overall.

We don’t see any interior pieces, so it’s not clear if the current Ranger’s floating central grille bar will be maintained, but the lack of a more pronounced upper-middle bezel section or a lower bezel-joined horizontal bar suggest that a new design may be coming.

Also, this bezel does not continue into a central metallic bumper section as the old one does.
Compared to current global Ranger:

o1iulaj6nhzmcg0wep4o.png
Sponsored

Vesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: Taurus / Sold: F150 King Ranch
Hah love the play on Stranger Things. I'm glad to see they are revising the front grill of the current Ranger. Not my favorite.

Ugga Mugga

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
I like the reshaping particularly how the sides don’t slant in anymore. Gives the grille a wider more open and aggressive look.

Fisherman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Escape
I agree that this grille bezel surround is much more attractive than that of the global Ranger. The shape partially resembles the F150 Raptor grille bezel design leaving a large unobstructed opening to.place varying grille inlay designs based upon the individual trim levels and permits further generations to continue to use this grille bezel for future grille inlay designs while retaining the recognizable new Ranger look.

Very happy to see that the American consumers' fashion influence is making the U.S. Ranger look different from the global model. The global Ranger grille bezel uses sharp angled high corners similar to the Superman "S" trademark and the bottom becomes a partial bumper cover. The bumper cover portion reminds me of the 2006-2010 Ford Explorer/Explorer Sport Trac that utilized the same design style though shaped differently.

2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac_RFQ.jpg

2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

I anticipate the 2019 Ranger will use the same cab design, bed, fenders, doors, and tail lamps that are currently in production for the 2018 global Ranger. After seeing the new grille bezel design for the U.S. model, the front bumper and headlamps are going to be different than the global Ranger which may also lead to a new hood and lower front fascia below the bumper. I also potentially anticipate a different tailgate treatment and rear bumper for the U.S. version. I also believe the frame and suspension will be the same as the 2018 global Ranger but utilizing different engines and transmission with a diesel engine option coming later.

On a different note, I noticed the independent front suspension of the four wheel drive Australian Ranger Raptor not utilizing a solid front axle obviously for performance reasons, mainly for independent suspension travel capabilities. I have not yet seen any Ranger test mule with a solid front axle which contradicts the Dana Corporation announcement early this year claiming to have a contract to produce/provide solid rear axles and solid front axles (for 4x4 versions) for the U.S. Ranger and Bronco.

Great job by all to share the photos of the new 2019 Ford Ranger grille bezel. This vehicle just got a lot more attractive.

Last edited:

YellowBee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
From the spy photos it seems like it will still have the interior trim pieces. I hope it's changed from the current global Ranger. One of the things I hate most about the current front end are the big clunky chrome grille, middle bar and bumper which clashes and doesn't flow with the angled headlights and lower intake. They need to fix that and make it more aggressive looking.

Fisherman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Escape
I noticed that almost every photo of every Ranger test mule is equipped with the Ford Everest twin horizontal-bar grille with the Ford emblem in the center. The Everest grille does not have a bezel but the grille is shaped like the global Ranger grille bezel without the RANGER imprint at the top of the global Ranger bezel and the newly released photos of the U.S. Ranger bezel.

Ford Ranger test mule.png

The Ford Everest photo may show an indication of the potential front bumper design of the U.S. Ranger as the Everest grille does not cover the front bumper unlike the global 2018 Ranger. The Ranger test mule photo shows that the actual bumper may be separate from the upper fascia that surrounds the grille and headlight areas. The Everest photo may potentially indicate the design of the U.S. Ranger lower fascia below the bumper. I at least anticipate a silver section of lower fascia at the bottom of the bumper where the air opening is located in the center.

Ford Everest.jpg

Last edited:

WI LION

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197 Mustang GT
I noticed that almost every photo of every Ranger test mule is equipped with the Ford Everest twin horizontal-bar grille with the Ford emblem in the center. The Everest grille does not have a bezel but the grille is shaped like the global Ranger grille bezel without the RANGER imprint at the top of the global Ranger bezel and the newly released photos of the U.S. Ranger bezel.
I personally hope that we don't get any horizontal bars. Just leave it open like on the Mustang. Looks much sportier and also prevents over-chroming the front end. What do you guys think?

Ford guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mach 1...1995 Mustang Cobra...1948 Ford F-1 pick-up
Occupation
retired
I personally hope that we don't get any horizontal bars. Just leave it open like on the Mustang. Looks much sportier and also prevents over-chroming the front end. What do you guys think?
I agree. The letters in black verse chrome appeal to me. I also think RAPTOR instead of FORD would be cool.

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Sport Trac
On a different note, I noticed the independent front suspension of the four wheel drive Australian Ranger Raptor not utilizing a solid front axle obviously for performance reasons, mainly for independent suspension travel capabilities. I have not yet seen any Ranger test mule with a solid front axle which contradicts the Dana Corporation announcement early this year claiming to have a contract to produce/provide solid rear axles and solid front axles (for 4x4 versions) for the U.S. Ranger and Bronco.
I don't think it was Dana that stated the 2019 Ranger and 2020 Bronco would have solid front axles. All they said was that they would be supplying a similar differential type as found on the Jeep Wrangler and others assumed that meant it would be a solid axle because that's what the Wrangler has. The truth is that that type of differential is also offered in a couple of independent front axle designs from Dana.

Also, I believe Dana already supplies the axles for the current global Ranger and, as you stated, none of those use a solid front axle design.

Read this article and see if it doesn't make a reasonable argument against the likelihood of a solid front axle:

https://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/i-dont-believe-for-a-second-the-bronco-and-ranger-will-1791583247

Fisherman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Escape
I don't think it was Dana that stated the 2019 Ranger and 2020 Bronco would have solid front axles. All they said was that they would be supplying a similar differential type as found on the Jeep Wrangler and others assumed that meant it would be a solid axle because that's what the Wrangler has. The truth is that that type of differential is also offered in a couple of independent front axle designs from Dana.

Also, I believe Dana already supplies the axles for the current global Ranger and, as you stated, none of those use a solid front axle design.

Read this article and see if it doesn't make a reasonable argument against the likelihood of a solid front axle:

https://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/i-dont-believe-for-a-second-the-bronco-and-range andr-will-1791583247
In today's world it absolutely makes sense for Ford not to use a solid front axle with all of the advancements made with the current four wheel drive/ all wheel drive independent front axles used by Ford and every other manufacturer. The last year for the solid front axle in the F150 was 1979 even though the F250 Super Duty, F350, F450, F550, F650, F750 and F850 still utilize the Dana 60 solid front axle as 2018 models.

My only basis for the solid front axle was based upon Dana Corporation's January 2017 announcement of the supply contract for the Ford Ranger and Bronco. I can no longer find the actual announcement of Dana but I did see it back in January and February of this year. I would appreciate if anyone could find and post Dana Corporation's official announcement to provide the front and rear axles for the Ford Ranger and Ford Bronco.

Automotive News posted their story on 01/24/2017 titled; "Check your 6, Wrangler; Ford Bronco will have solid axles too". The article can be found at :
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...angler;-ford-bronco-will-have-solid-axles-too

TFL Truck also posted a story on 01/25/2017 based upon Dana's announcement and questioned if it actually meant solid front axles.
http://www.tfltruck.com/2017/01/rep...2019-ford-ranger-solid-axles-front-rear-news/

Is it possible that the new Ranger and Bronco would come standard without a solid front axle and for the Dana solid front axle be an option? This option may require a different front clip for the frame for proper suspension mounting positions though but may deemed necessary to compete directly with the Wrangler and Toyota 4Runner.
Sponsored

Last edited: